The Growing in Faith Together (GIFT) Campaign is a financial stewardship initiative of the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa.
Fifty percent of all monies raised return to the parish.
The former St Michael and All Angels parish identified four major initiatives that emerged from parish visioning:
- Increasing our outreach for the community. We have already made a difference for the Refuge NOW community and the Ottawa Food Bank.
- Continuing spiritual growth and formation. Our open library and our study books for groups made it possible for all to participate.
- Expanding community use of our building
- Improving worship accessibility
The former St Richards parish identified similar initiatives, which are ongoing:
- Modernize our worship environment, to enable ‘hands-free” worship by projecting liturgy and music on a screen (completed), improve our choir and musicians’ location, and make better use of space around the altar.
- Hire a youth minister and fund activities which attract and retain younger people.
- Increase our outreach activities at the Carlington Community Chaplaincy by funding a part-time coordinator, materials and honoraria for the painting and carving art program, as well as supporting an improved Mentoring and Insight Program.
- Reach out to the students and staff at nearby Elizabeth Wyn Wood Alternative High School, by upgrading our kitchen to meet provincial standards so they may use the space for “learning-lunches” and to expand the school’s breakfast program.
- Hire a consultant to provide the church with a redevelopment plan to make better use of our property and resources.
The diocesan funds will also work for results in the following areas:
- Expanding community ministries: the Well, Cornerstone, Centre 454, and the St Luke’s ministry
- Supporting our military chaplain ordinary
- Funding programs for suicide prevention in the North
- Fighting child poverty
- Education of church leaders, lay and ordained
- Help for parishes in decline
Contributions can be made at any time. Most pledges are paid over a five-year timeframe and may include bequests at the time of death. Checks are made out to the Diocese of Ottawa and include the parish name and ID number for tax receipts and accuracy.
While we ended the active phase of our campaign, we continue to tell the stories of how parishioner generosity affects the lives of others. St Michaels has already made a difference for the Refuge NOW community and the Ottawa Food Bank. Our open library for Lent and our study books for groups made it possible for all to participate.